Thursday, April 24, 2014

San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. Take 1!

Backpacking through Central America is a blur at this point. I landed in Managua November 21, 2013 and didn't come back to California until January 21, 2014. What happened between those dates... well, some of it I remember, some of it I wish I didn't, and the rest... I'll do my best to relay the highlights.

San Juan del Sur
My week-long pseudo-surf camp was a bust. The house we rented was amazing, but to fill it with 11 women... not the best idea. Personalities clashed, schedules conflicted, and I fled from the house 2 days early just to get away from it all. On a positive note, I got some really fun waves at Playa Maderas :)

Playa Maderas
Before I moved into Casa de PMS (aka the house of 11 women) I stayed at Yajure Hostel in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. For anyone interested, I do NOT recommend this hostel.

red foot bridge into town
First of all, it's on the opposite side of the red foot bridge from town, which makes for a very sketchy passing if you are returning to the hostel after dark. I was fortunate to not have any complications, mostly because I made sure to never walk alone and to have at least 3 other people walking with me after dark. But I heard some horrible stories about people trying to cross the bridge after dark and some locals were waiting for them, with knives or other weapons, and demanding money and valuables.
Secondly, it advertises air conditioning, but the hostel only runs ac during certain hours. If I remember correctly, the ac shuts off at 6am, which left me waking up sweaty and uncomfortable by 7am every morning. It was near unbearable.
Third, the hostel also advertises that they have lockers. In reality, these lockers are actually 6"x6" cubes on a wall outside of the actual dormitory and in one of the common areas. It was enough to lock up a wallet, passport, and maybe an iPhone, but there was no room for laptops or iPads.

socializing at the hostel
On the upside, I did have the chance to meet some really great people while I was there. There was this crazy Aussie, Jimmy, whose accent still makes me melt. There was an amazing group of Kiwis that I wish I could have continued to travel with. The first Albertan I've ever met, Tenille, who has convinced me that Alberta is the best province in Canada (or at least has the best people). And Anneke from Holland, who ended up rescuing me from Casa de PMS, inviting me to join her and Olivia (from GREAT Britain) on their journey to the next destination, Isla Ometepe in Lake Nicaragua.

One San Juan del Sur unofficial tradition that I highly recommend is the weekly pool crawl, Sunday Funday. It's probably the most blogged about event in Nicaragua, so I'll just give a few highlights. The outing begins at 2pm and goes until you can't go anymore, with the first destination being Pelican Eyes, an amazing resort on a hill overlooking all of San Juan del Sur. The view is amazing, but I have to admit, if you don't see it as soon as you get there, there's a good chance your vision will be too blurry to see it before you leave.

we'll call this the 'before' picture
Because as soon as you step in, it's very likely your eyes will quickly shift, first to the bar, and then all the crazy, sexy, half-naked hotties running around. Gawd I love this town!

the bar
If my liver would allow it, I think I could live here.

oh, the hotness!
After Pelican Eyes, the party moves to the Naked Tiger hostel, which has another pool and amazing view of the San Juan del Sur coastline. I could tell you more about this destination, but to be honest, I really don't remember much about it. And apparently there is another bar/pool/hostel that the crawl moves to after the Naked Tiger, but I didn't make it there, either. But! I had an amazing time!

sunset at Naked Tiger hostel
food! at Naked Tiger hostel
San Juan del Sur was a blast! I had an incredible time, met some amazing people, and despite my temporary disheartened state from being in Casa de PMS, my wanderlust was charged up again for my next destination: Isla Ometepe!

No comments:

Post a Comment